Challenging High Attainers in Mathematics

One of my personal goals for the first half of the year is to challenge high attainers in math. 


A lot of focus tends to go towards the lower attainers and supporting them, however, I want to keep pushing and challenging other children.




During one of my meetings with my associate teacher, we came up with some ideas of how to challenge the students:

  • Word problems (one or two-step)
  • Mathematics challenge cards
  • Mathematics e-books
  • Writing explanations and reflections
  • 'Why' questions, 'Convince me' or 'Prove it'
  • Work set at a higher level
  • Integrate technology
  • Self-Assessment
  • Real world math practice
  • NRich maths challenges
  • Tuakana Teina
  • NZMaths
  • Larger numbers
  • Converting
  • Missing numbers
  • Solving backwards

Not all children learn the same way so I need to be aware of how they learn best and also I need to incorporate a variety of learning opportunities.
Here is a useful website explaining ways to meet individual needs in the classroom in regards to mathematics.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observation of Science 2nd June 2020